I found this good list of characteristics of Leader in 'C++ Coding Standard'. Well, c++ coding standard is not a likely place for finding advice on leadership. But sometimes you find get thought gems at unlikely places. So here it is
- lead by example
- don't ask anything of anyone that they wouldn't do themselves
- are called on to make difficult and unpopular decisions
- keep the team focused
- reward/support their team in whatever they do
- keep/clear unnecessary crap out of the way of the team
- TAKE the blame when things go wrong and SHARE the credit when things go right.
The advice resonated with how I think.